Thursday, July 15, 2010

Why?

You may be wondering why anyone would want to give up pasta, bread, cake, and other "normal" foods.  Well, honestly, at first I didn't.

Then one night I had a migraine.  This was a pretty common occurrence for me. At least once a week, sometimes twice, I would be in debilitating pain. So much pain that I could barely function and could definitely not take care of the children.  The next morning it hit me.  My mom is allergic to rice, wheat, oats, and corn.  Maybe I'm sensitive to those foods too.  Maybe they are at least partly responsible for my migraines.

I decided to give up grains and see how I felt.  A week went by - no migraines.  Two weeks went by - no migraines!  This amazed me.  I was shocked that it could be this easy.  Why hadn't a doctor suggested this connection any time in the past 26 years?  I couldn't remember the last time I had gone two weeks without being in debilitating pain.

The next week we went to Myrtle Beach for vacation and I found it tough to prepare breakfast and lunch in a hotel room without the use of bread. It was just too convenient to make a sandwich and get back to the pool.  I also wondered if maybe it was just a coincidence that I had been pain-free the previous two weeks. I ate better than I did prepaleo but definitely did not stick to the eating plan.

On the drive home I  had a HORRIBLE migraine.  Trust me - you do not want to be stuck in a minivan with two loud young children during a migraine.  This migraine reinforced the notion that grains were causing my migraines.

Avoiding grains is an easy, drug free way to keep my migraines at bay.  It has been six weeks since that vacation migraine and I have not had a single recurrence!  I do still get "normal" headaches if the kids are being exceptionally boisterous or I don't get enough sleep but that I can handle.

No comments: