Friday, August 27, 2010

Quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie

Last year we started several first day of school traditions.  I think Hannah's favorite is the ritual of freshly baked cookies awaiting her return from school.  I like to think she can feel the love baked into the those sweet cookies by her mom, who has missed her all day.  This time last year we were not following a primal eating plan so her first day of preschool cookies were sugar cookies iced with pink royal frosting.  Now that I am aware how food coloring affects Hannah we avoid it at all costs so we need a new cookie for the first day of kindergarten.

I am currently feeling my way through this recipe creation process.  I started with a recipe from Elena's Pantry but couldn't get it to work just right so I tweaked it a bit.  I added more almond flour and an egg, swapped honey for agave nectar, and used table salt instead of sea salt.  The result is okay but nothing spectacular.  Certainly not good enough to share the recipe.

Photo courtesy of http://www.laaloosh.com


Now I am on a mission.  I, along with my trusty spoon-lickers helpers am going to bake the perfect primal chocolate chip cookie!  We are going to brave the I-95 traffic today to forage for more ingredients at Trader Joe's and will report back when we have completed our mission.

What are your favorite qualities in a chocolate chip cookie?  Really soft and squishy?  Crisp enough to dip into coffee?  Extra vanilla or none at all?

3 comments:

Fairion said...

There are all natural colored sugar at whole foods inexpensively. We got three different colors while we were there. They are great for decorating sugar cookies if you still want to do sugar cookies.

Unknown said...

I love soft chocolate chip best - Let me know when your perfect your recipe as I love choc chip cookies! I would also like to put your link on my website for Paleo followers so check it out soon on www.paleowomen.com

Paleo People said...

It's Laura of Paleo Women. I left the comment above but with wrong account. I will post your link on my Paleo Women website for paleo followers and anxiously await your cookie recipe!